Massage therapy trivia and interesting facts about the human body.
- The skin is the largest organ in the body, or shall we say on the body.
- There are approximately 639 different muscles on the average human. (approximate because there are some people with and without certain muscles, and some people group them differently)
- The word “Massage” comes from Latin massa meaning “mass, dough”. The Greek verb μάσσω (massō) means “to handle, touch, to work with the hands, to knead dough”, (in Latin and Greek they didn’t call massage that though, the old words were anatripsis in Greek, and the Latin was frictio.)
- Massage can:
- lower the levels of stress hormones for up to two weeks
- improve mild depression
- temporarily lower blood pressure and heart rate
- improve the immune system
- decrease pain
- decrease anxiety